Vacuum Excavation – Utility Potholing Crew Member
Job Description PDF
SSC Underground accepts applications for consideration, as openings for qualified and experienced vacuum excavation and utility potholing crew members become available.
The vacuum crew member will help support all aspects of vacuum excavation and utility potholing jobs for the company.
This position will report directly to the vacuum truck crew leader. The vacuum truck crew member will be responsible for working as directed by the vacuum truck leader to excavate potholes for utility locating. The vacuum truck crew member will also be responsible for helping set up, operate, and clean the vacuum truck and its various tools. This is an entry level position with an opportunity to advance to the second tier of vacuum crew member once skills have been mastered and positive performance reviews and evaluations have been completed.
- Report for work on time at company equipment yard to ride with the truck driver and/or truck helper to the job site
- Actively participate in the daily THAs
- Wear Personal Protection Equipment at all times without being reminded
- Follow safety rules and demonstrates safe job site behaviors including traffic control.
- Communicate clearly and professionally using Verbal and Non-Verbal (Hand-Signals) communication.
- Use appropriate language at all times
- Demonstrate a positive self-motivated attitude
- Cooperate with the truck leader and co-workers with a respectful and productive way
- Presents self in a clean and professional manner each day
- Fill up ice/water cooler each day
- Load extra hose, cold patch, sand, and other materials each day
- Setup tools at job site including air lance, jackhammer, vacuum hose, and other miscellaneous tools as needed
- Operate vacuum hose during vacuum excavation
- Hold the light and transit rods properly during excavation
- Keep the job site clean and organized by keeping tools sorted and out of the way of other people, traffic, and crews.
- Place tools and equipment back in their proper location at the end of each shift
- Help keep the vacuum truck clean and organized by removing asphalt, rocks, debris, and trash.
- Fuel truck during fuel stops
- Help truck leader with miscellaneous tasks as needed to complete the excavation job and return to the equipment yard.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform the duties and responsibilities of this job while exposed to Arizona’s inclement weather for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 90 lbs minimum using proper lifting form
- Experience with excavation and tunneling tools such as jackhammers, pipes, hoses, and vacuums is a plus
- Understanding of stationing, blue staking, and utilities is a plus.
- Ability to follow instructions and work well with others.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.